When setting up new & existing opportunities, the team page will allow you to:
- Add a ‘Bid Manager’ and as many ‘Team’ members as required.
- Set the ‘Opportunity capacity’ you estimate you’ll require from each team member.
- View the ‘Total capacity’ each team member is already committed to.
- View the number of ‘Active opportunities’ each member is already assigned to.
- and see warnings when a team members’ capacity exceeds 100% as they may be at risk of burn out.
How to set work capacity for team members
When registering a new opportunity (or updating an existing opportunity) navigate to the ‘Team’ page (see below).
By default, every new team member assigned to the project will start with an ‘Opportunity capacity’ of 0% (see below). This percentage represents the estimated amount they will be required on the current opportunity.
If a team member is already assigned to other opportunities, their ‘Total capacity’ will show as a coloured bar and percentage. In the example above, Alec is already at a total capacity of 60% because of the other active opportunities he is currently assigned to.
As soon as you begin to add to the ‘Opportunity capacity’, the total capacity this team member is at will increase (see below).
Notice how Alec’s workload was already at 60%, but now that an additional 30% of his time is required on this opportunity, his ‘Total capacity’ increases to 90%.
Building a winning team
It’s simple to see how building a winning team just became a whole lot easier. You’ll be able to quickly assess who should, and perhaps should not be on the team based on their capacity.
As you add team members, they’ll automatically order based on their current capacities (from highest to lowest).
0% workload = Grey
10%-40% workload = Blue
50%-80% workload = Orange
90%-100% workload = Red
100%+ workload = Red + Red warning symbol
TIP: Rolling over each team member on the team setup page (seen below) will give you additional information about them and their capacity. This will happen across the rest of the platform also.
When a team member exceeds 100%, two things will happen:
- Their ‘Total capacity’ bar and percentage will turn red and
- A warning symbol will appear.
TIP: When rolling over the warning symbol, a tooltip will appear with important information (see below).
Removing team members
Removing team members is easy. Simply click the (x) icon next to their name (seen above).
If that team member is currently assigned any sections of a proposal to write or review within the opportunity, a prompt (see below) will let you know that removing them will also make their tasks become unassigned (so that they can be assigned to another team member later).
Viewing & updating capacity from your profile
To view your own opportunity capacity, navigate to your profile – Either by clicking on your profile avatar in the bottom left of the screen (see below) or from the ‘Team Members’ page.
On the ‘Summary’ screen, you can view your current capacity on the right hand side.
To update your capacity you can either
- Click the ‘Update capacity’ link (see above) or
- Click on the ‘Associated Opportunities’ tab.
Both of these options will take you to the same screen.
Whilst on the ‘Associated Opportunities’ screen, you’ll notice that the ‘Status’ filter is set to active opportunities by default. This is because capacity can only be updated on active opportunities.
To update your capacity on an opportunity, simply use the dropdown menu in the ‘Opportunity Capacity’ column. Opportunities will automatically sort from highest to lowest.
Viewing all team members and their work capacities
From the ‘Team Members’ page, the following columns will help you see how busy your team are:
- Capacity – how busy a team member is now.
- Active Opportunities – how many opportunities a team member is currently on.
- Total Opportunities – how many opportunities a team member has been on in total.
Bonus example scenario
As you can see in the above example ☝️we’ve added Nyree as the Bid Manager on this project. However, her capacity is already at 100% because of the other opportunities she is currently on ?.
We know that someone with Nyree’s skill would be needed for at least 50% of her time on this new project, but unfortunately that’s going to put her total capacity at 150%, putting her at risk of burning her out ?.
With that said, Lloyd’s current projects are coming to an end, so he’ll become available shortly. He also has the skills needed for this project and is only at 10% capacity currently, and therefore he’s a much better fit for this project right now.
He’ll also only be needed for 50% of his time, which still only gives him a total capacity of 60% ?.
The team has shared the workload and are now on their way to winning the next opportunity!